Race Start Time: 6:00 am
Bus Pick-up: 3:40 – 5:00 am
Registration: $70.00 register here
Sogonapmit Marathon: $75
Contact: [email protected]
I personally ran this half last year and it was BEAUTIFUL! I loved the course and the downhill got me a PR. Here are my personal likes and dislikes of the race:
- There were plenty of busses and parking for me, I got there early. Bus loading was easy and effortless.
- I loved the course. It was so pretty and GREEN. I didn’t want the canyon to end. I had never been up American Fork Canyon before and I was blown away by its beauty.
- The aid stations were spot on. I was very impressed with the efficiency of the volunteers as well as the number of helpful hands all along the course.
- There were a TON of people cheering along the course, especially after you exit the canyon and head through the golf course.
- The medals were very impressive and the shirts were some of the best I have seen.
- The finish line had great food and entertainment with plenty of room to spread out and stretch after the race.
- The race director and team of helpers were so easy to work with and very generous.
- Overall, the race was very well organized and I personally didn’t see anything that would prevent me from encouraging people to run this race. Such a fun one.
Dislikes/Things I wasn’t prepared for:
- The start was a little cold and I wasn’t totally prepared to be waiting up there for so long. I wished I had brought a shirt or something warm to wear. They had drop bags and I should have used them, but I didn’t have anything to put in them. A nice man let me borrow his jacket.
- The race started a little late. This can be expected because the starting line required people to be bussed up the canyon. Late people push back the start time, so DON’T BE LATE! LOAD EARLY. I took a nap at the top as I was one of the first people up there…It was quite nice.
- I think I was slightly unprepared for just how downhill the course actually was. I hadn’t trained very much down hill and my IT bands started to flare up on me at about mile 8 when things started to flatten out. Stretch really well and WARM UP (two things I didn’t do). Do a quick run once you get to the top before the start to make sure you are set. When you get to the finish line, stretch stretch stretch! I was sore for a good week.
- T-shirt pick-up was a little confusing being at the race finish. I think there was a problem with the shirts arriving on time, and that’s why they had to distribute them at the race, but the way it was set up sort of blocked the finishers from getting to the food. This wasn’t a huge issue, I would have just moved the table away from the food and spread things out a bit more.
Anyway, that’s my take. Did you run it? What did you think? I would do it again. In fact I will do it again!
From the event’s web page:
“The Timpanogos Half Marathon is one of Utah’s premier half marathons! The Timpanogos Half starts in American Fork Canyon, one of the prettiest canyons in the Wasatch Mountains. Whether you are an experienced runner or just starting, you will love this race. This course is ideal as you will experience a gradual decline of 1,800 feet from start to finish with trees gracefully covering the road. Starting at the picturesque Tibblefork Reservoir you will run down the canyon while enjoying beautiful views of Mount Timpanogos and the famous Timpanogos Cave. The finish line will be full of food, live music and fun!
With this USATF certified course you will have the best chance at setting a personal record. From fantastic stylish shirts to montrous medals you will be sure to make this race your annual favorite. Bring your friends and family for this great time.
The Timpanogos Half Marathon has been chosen as a one of six Half Marathons in the Valley for Run the Slam! Go to runtheslam.com for more info.
Interested in a FULL Marathon? Check out the Sogonapmit Marathon!”
PROMO CODE: Thank you for reading this review. If you have anything to add, please post in the comments below. Also, if you are looking for a discount on your registration, SLRUNNING will get you $5 off. This entire race is a fund raiser for Running For Kidz. The race organizers donate all money made from this race to this non-profit and are happy to do it. What a great race. Enjoy it!