Some gym teachers would like you to think that running is punishment. But, those of us in the know, have figured out how much running can change your life! It is a great individual sport that can be done just about anywhere, almost anytime, with or without friends and in most weather. Not only that, after you get yourself a great pair of shoes and some workout clothes, it is free! Just you, your body, the terrain and the elements. Athletic freedom at its best. But, there are those days when you wonder why you signed up for this bootcamp activity. We all have those! Next time you are draggin’ then peruse the following list of reasons why you still need to drag your body out the door.
Some obvious reasons:
- Burns up to 1000 calories per hour depending on pace
- Reduces stress, anxiety and depression. Proven to be more effective than medication.
- Increases heart and lung capacity
- Increases metabolism for up to 24 hours post run
Some not so obvious reasons:
- Improves lymphatic flow which helps to detox the body
- Helps to keep arteries open
- Increases oxygen to the brain
- Helps with insomnia
- Creates a laxative effect and decrease intestinal transit time by 30%.
- Releases opiods(natural form of opium) that aid in memory and learning.